Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Going Natural (for treatment of hair loss that is...)

So let’s recap...

Both Daniel and I now had more energy, more time, and more space for ourselves. Daniel was losing less hair than he was (not to mention that having more energy got him to exercise more, which of course, made him happier and fitter in general, and just all-around great to hang out with, no longer depressed and blue!)


By reducing stress and changing our eating habits, half the problem was sorted out. The hair loss speed was reduced considerably.


Now I began to search for ways to reverse the process. If my man wants a full head of hair to feel good about himself, then by hook or by crook I'll deliver!

I started reading up about natural hair loss remedies on the internet. There's a lot of information out there, and we tried a lot of stuff. I even found this great article about the weirdest natural hair loss remedies ever in the same site as the article on nutrition and hair loss! Those weird natural preventatives even included pounding a green garden snake in a silk bag and smearing it on your head!


I decided against creating weird concoctions to help Daniel (I wasn't sure he'd appreciate pureed frog...), and looked for more "grandma's secrets" stuff.


The first thing I came across was the all around most common remedy for everything: Onions!


A Study in Journal of Dermatology found that applying onion juice twice a day for two months caused hair growth in about 85% of the subjects studied!

Of course, I immediately sat Daniel down and began making onion juice on a daily basis. And it worked, a little! There was a noticeable reduction of his receding hairline, and his hair grew fuller. He was even considering not cutting his hair as short, and letting his curls grow out some more.


I looked for more natural remedies of the older generation variety.


I added A daily massage of Daniel's scalp with essential oils, that contain herbs that several of the sites online consider helpful. I mixed rosemary, thyme, and lavender essential oils, and massaged Daniel's scalp every evening before he took his shower. The growth continued, but still very slowly. The side benefit of the daily massages was that Daniel and I were becoming closer. The daily physical contact and intimacy, and sharing his struggle with the hair loss brought us closer together. Several times, the evening massage graduated into more playful activities. Although Daniel did complain constantly that the lavender made him smell like his grandma!


Saw Palmetto Extract was the next natural hair loss remedy I found online. Saw Palmetto has been found to battle prostate diseases by lowering DHT levels. DHT, a by-product of testosterone, is the leading cause of Male Pattern Baldness. Both Daniel and I had high hopes for Saw Palmetto.


The extract itself is made of the small palm-like plant's berries. Native Americans have been using it for centuries as a cure for bladder infections, urinary tract infections, and reproductive problems. Only recently did people begin to discover it as a possible natural solution to hair loss.

So added to the onion juice and the essential oil massage, Daniel started taking about 200-250 mg of Saw Palmetto extract a day. I can't say much about the hair loss effects (although he was losing significantly less hair by now, and was even re-growing some more), but OH MY GOD...


Those Native Americans knew what they were doing! I found it unbelievable that a herb that inhibits the DHT in the body could actually increase my husbands sex drive that much! At that point, I didn't particularly care if Daniel never re-grew his hair, as long as he kept taking that Saw Palmetto Extract!

About two months ago, after about two years of Saw Palmetto, onion juice, daily scalp massages, eating healthy and living stress free (not to mention the great sex), Daniels hair was noticeably thicker than it was. He was also fitter. Healthier. Happier.

And then I found the most miraculous remedy of all. One night, while searching for anything further that we haven't read, tried, or bought, I returned to the site that had all the great information about hair loss, the one that I started out with. And there, I found the Amazing Herbal hair loss Remedies.

I was surprised I didn't notice it before. I immediately placed an order for the hair cream.

Within about two months, more hair was growing. But even more exciting? Daniel wasn't losing any more hair. Definately not in any serious way.

But the most exciting thing of all was the transformation not on Daniel's head, but IN his head. Somehow, along our quest to stop his hair loss, he stopped caring about it as much. The nutrition, the massages, the Saw Palmetto, and less stress, not to mention our miracle Hair Cream all had their benefits. But the most important thing was...

We did it together! I stood by him every step of the way. And even when I thought he was being silly (he's still sexy even without curls!!), I knew that his self confidence and self esteem were suffering. Maybe it was the hair growth.

And maybe, it was just the fact that I held his hand, and helped him in any way I could.


More tips will follow!

No comments: